As promised this week I would like to introduce the issues important to me by way of an introduction!
If anyone has read my Blog from yesterday you will be aware I have a keen interest in the area of Domestic Abuse.
Many family Solicitors can sometimes overlook the very important role an Injunction has for the safety of our clients. This last week us Solicitors have received some reminders from the senior Judiciary about these Orders and also guidance about the considerations we need to make when applying for them for our clients.
But as a person effected by Domestic Abuse who feels they may need an Injunction, what do you need to know?
Here are the top 5 facts:
1. The Injunctions are known by the Court as a Non-Molestation Order
2. They can only be granted against someone who is ‘associated’ to you, i.e. for example an ex-partner, family member or parent to your child
3. The Police don’t have to have been involved or arrested the perpetrator
4. They can last for 12 months
5. You can apply for one at the Court without telling the perpetrator
So you can see there is more to them than meets the eye – they are a very important tool in protecting our clients and will often be the start of us supporting them in other ways.
Legal Aid is also often available for an Injunction!!
Do you want more information about Injunctions and to have a private chat with a member of our team? If so, please get in touch.
By Rebecca Shenton